At the November 2, 2010 meeting at approximately 7:00 pm at Jax Grill, Mr. Ed, in his duties as Director of Compliance - Sergent-in-Arms called the meeting to Order. It appearing that approximately 8 people were in attendance, Mr. Ed proceeded with the meeting.
(1) Regular Monthly Meeting
(1) Kingwood Privatizing
- will likely be a pass process to have permission to park, issue is Kingwood having enough parking for the boat ramp use, not an Oak Meadow issue. Kingwood Home Owners Association working on it.
(2) HFDS Non-profit/Incorporation
- need tax advice, maybe Jeff. T. could volunteer (a) Benefits, (b) Tax Status, (c) costs vs. loss in revenue from not being able to charge non-membership fees for leagues and events; (d) need more information to conduct cost benefit analysis.
(3) Houston Flying Disc Championships
- maybe Sept.or Oct. of '11, a specific meeting on this topic will be immediately after the December '10 HFDS meeting.
(4) Membership Cards
- Mr. Ed to follow-up with Andi Y., have front design for production of prototype (*since meeting Andi has provided layout for back of cards).
(5) Reforestation Project -
Larry K. advises needs more analysis, discussions of possible involvement by other organizations like Treesforhouston.org and Red Birds. Derek L. advises he will make inquiry regarding these groups.
(6) Mozola A. B & C
- on hold until the hike and bike trails and the re-grading is finished by Parks & Rec. and Buffalo Bayou Partnership.
(7) Moffitt Concrete Tee-Boxes
- (a) Since Parks & Rec. advises poured hot asphalt boxes may be available for Moffitt like Mac Gregor, need to determine if Mac Gregor Boxes are finished before deciding whether to raise funds for concrete for Moffitt. Derek L. to make inquiry with Houston Parks & Rec.; (b) discussions of possible fundraising - dedicate Moffitt Show to concrete for Moffitt; dedicate a portion of league revenue to Moffitt; Birdshot willing to run event fundraiser; sale of merchandise perhaps on-line or through silent auction.
(8) Status of MacGregor Tee-boxes
- are they finished yet?, #10 wood form on front of box fallen off, asphalt pebbles on top cause slippage for longer run-up players, #11 seems to face wrong direction. Derek L. will make inquiry and advise. In addition, easier for Parks & Rec. to make improvements once boxes are installed, for example safety reasons, if necessary.
(9) Disposition of Two Baskets in Storage -
repaired and are back in ground at Wilmont.
(10) Inventory of Equipment
- where are short poles for HFDS baskets?, will check with Neil as he has been managing the HFDS baskets.
(11) Meeting with HPARD & BBP by Derek L.
- thanks to Derek L. for going to the BBP public meeting and speaking on disc golf at the meeting on a Thursday after work and thanks for taking of work on a Friday afternoon to meet with Parks & Rec. and Buffalo Bayou Partnership (BBP) to coordinate tree-plantings at Mozola course. 5 Volunteers for HFDS went to tree-plantings at Mozola showing a presence.
(1) Financial Report
- DGC coupon issue about coupon use required by DGC all at one time, appears some may have been some concerns by DGC, will ask DGC to come to a meeting to discuss.
(2) Membership report
- Larry K. previously resigned as membership director and none the less provide one more final membership report, approx 78 active, 821 total memberships issued. Need new membership director. Inquiry made with Patrick, he will think about it and advise.
(3) Promotions report
- (a) Discussions of drawbacks of mass email, including email rejections, should we email to members only or all for whom we have an email address? Larry K.'s company does this sort of thing, he can likely get a low cost option approx $100 per year allows email conversions to text messages and voice messages. Also discussions about yahoo newsgroup option. Larry K. to get a specific on cost for his company. Patrick B. and ERic J. to get additional information on yahoo newsgroup to allow comparisons; (b) promotions efforts needs to be clear about what HFDS offers (i) membership cards and discounts based upon at Rick's Darts and Games and SV Pro Shop, and (ii) good efforts by club to improve disc golf scene; (c) Birdshot offers to allow use of their Pay-Pal account internet portal to allow HFDS members to sign up through HFDS website, tabled until next meeting to contemplate and likely approve next meeting as this makes sign-ups for membership easier; (d) if moving toward 501c(3) or 501c(4) status will need to provide immediate feel-good benefit like Waterloo Club, such as free disc or some other merchandise like a customized bag-tag and perhaps greater level of merchandise for 5 year memberships, like special dyes or stamps.
(4) Telge Workdays
- volunteers for Saturday Nov. 6th, Telge will be a very special course, will need to organize volunteer efforts and also funds will need to be raised for baskets.
(5) Homegrown Course Designers
- discussions of HFDS role, primarily one of guidance to prevent unsafe of poorly designed courses from being installed, discussions of non-compete/non-disclosure agreements for HFDS consultants, decided too large a burden to ask volunteers consultants. For the specific course proposal at hand, which will be called Project Aviar, a Course Design Committee was formed of Tiffany B., Patrick B., Scott H. and Derek L. to review and advise on Project Aviar, has power to give an HFDS endorsement on this specific project, Richard F. to be tie-vote, if necessary. All 5 members of committee agree to no conflict of interests, now have no active projects for which they have any financial interest, if a conflict of interest arises will resign from the committee as soon as conflict arises.